1847 St. John The Baptist Church is founded by nine German immigrant families living in the community of Johns Hill, KY; the first church building was a log-cabin structure built at the top of Johns Hill Rd. A parish school is founded at the same time. Fr. John Voll, pastor of Corpus Christi in Newport, says Mass in the Church every 4th Sunday until 1858.
1857 On June 24, the feast of St. John, the church is struck by lightning and burns to the ground.
1858 A new church building is constructed on our present site of worship. The 30 x 50 structure was built of stones from the Licking River over the course of one year by five masons under the supervision of church members. Dedication takes place on November 25. Bishop George Ignatius Carroll officiates and Fr. Voll delivers the sermon. St. John the Baptist continues to stand as the oldest church building in Northern Kentucky, having been used consistently since before the Civil War.
1877 Fr. Anthony Athman is appointed as the first diocesan pastor of St. John. He is succeeded by Fr. William Cassender in 1878.
1880 Frs. Anthony Meyer, Francis X. Hund, Joseph Boebbels, John Gratz, and Joseph Moder all serve as pastor in quick succession.
1886 Fr. Charles Voellm is appointed pastor, followed by Fr. Frederic Heising in 1890.
1891 As the result of a shortage of priests, St. John the Baptist temporarily becomes a mission of Corpus Christi Church in Newport.
1894 The parish is restored to independent status, and Fr. Bernard Baumeister is appointed pastor.
1900s Pastors during the early decades: Revs. Thomas B. Ott (1903-06), Charles Diemer (1907-17), Ernst Dahlschen (1917-28), and Walter Freiburg (1928-31).
1907 The current Rectory building is constructed.
1909 The Sisters of Notre Dame come to serve the needs of St. John the Baptist School. Soon afterwards a Convent building is constructed to house them.
1928 Property on Licking Pike is purchased as a site for a new church building. (Ultimately these plans were deterred by the Great Depression. The land remained vacant, and was later sold to the City of Wilder, who used it as a baseball field. It is now the site of the current City Building, which was constructed in 1998.)
1931 Fr. Francis Mielech begins his tenure as the longest serving pastor of St. John (23 years). At the same time he also served as Headmaster of Covington Latin School. Fr. Mielech was elevated to Monsignor in 1949.
1933 The Diamond Jubilee (75th anniversary) of the parish is celebrated. Bishop Francis Howard is the officiant and Fr. Freiburg delivers the sermon.
1941 St. Johns School moves from the basement of the church to the ground floor of an old neighborhood tavern located next door. The basement becomes the parish hall.
1954 Fr. Hugh Milligan is appointed pastor. Two years later he leaves after being assigned the task of establishing the new St. Pius X parish in present Crestview Hills, KY.
1958 On October 5 an open air Solemn Pontification Mass celebrating the centennial of the present church building is officiated by Bishop William Mulloy. The Centennial Committee is comprised of parishoners George Weyman, Henry Weyman, William Verst, Al Steffen, Frank Twehues, Louis Burkhardt and Vic Rebholz.
1960s - 1980s Fr. Robert Vater serves as pastor from 1964 to 1969; he is succeeded by Frs. Daniel Lally (1969-79), Charles Rooks (1979-82) and Earl Bierman (1982-87).
1981 As the result of suburban exodus and long-term declining enrollment, the parish school is closed after providing 134 years of continuous service. Children of the parish now attend St. Joseph School in Cold Spring.
1983 Celebration of the 125th anniversary of the present church building: Bishop William Hughes officiates, assisted by numerous former pastors and ordained sons of the parish.
1987 Fr. Richard McGrath is appointed pastor. A son of the parish and former assistant pastor, he returns after a distinguished career as a scripture scholar and professor at Thomas More College.
1997 Fr. McGrath retires from active priesthood but remains at St. John; Mrs. Margaret Quirk is appointed as lay Pastoral Minister and serves until 2006.
1998 Celebration of the 150th anniversary of the parish: Bishop Robert Muench presides at the Eucharist with Fr. McGrath and three former pastors attending.
1999 In June, air conditioning is finally installed in the church building. New residential construction around the Johns Hill area results in a welcome influx of new parishioners and worshipers.
2000 In January, construction of the new AA Highway results in the City of Wilder changing St. John's address from Licking Pike to 1307 Johns Hill Rd. The church was originally founded on Johns Hill and now, after over 150 years, it is once again located on Johns Hill Rd.
2000 During the summer, renovations to the church begin, which include corpus on crucifix and statues of Mary and Joseph being repainted, sanctuary walls plastered and painted with grotto-effect, additional pews purchased and installed, a new musical keyboard purchased and the old pipe organ sold, a wheelchair lift installed, and moving the confessional to behind the lift.
2001 In January, renovations in the church continue with new flooring and carpeting installed, the choir loft renovated to provide additional seating and pull-down stairs to the bell tower installed. In June, the State of Kentucky purchased and then demolished the old school building and convent to make much needed improvements on Johns Hill Road.
2005 Fr. Paul Krebs is appointed pastoral administrator following the death of Fr. McGrath.
2006 A major renovation of the church sacristy and rectory is accomplished.
2008 The parish celebrates the 150th anniversary of the present church building with a special Mass celebrated by the Most Rev. Roger Foys, Bishop of the Diocese of Covington. St. John the Baptist Church continues to stand today as one of the oldest church buildings in Northern Kentucky having been used consistently since before the Civil War.
2010 Father Gregory Bach is appointed parochial administrator following the retirement of Father Paul Krebs.
2011 Rev. Gregory E. Osburg appointed pastor effective July 6, 2011 and installed as pastor on August 27, 2011 by Most Reverend Roger J. Foys, D.D., Bishop of Covington. At the same time, he serves as Defender of the Bond in the Diocesan Tribunal.